Saturday, January 31, 2009

Panda hashi-oki

©Ingrid Booz Morejohn

When I went to Japan in the mid 1990s I was taken by friends to a ceramics workshop where you could paint your own bowls, plates etc. There I was introduced to the concept of the hashi-oki, the chopstick rest. At that time I hadn't seen anyone use these in China but they have become quite common now in fancier restaurants. As we live in the Panda capital of China it's only fitting that I post a panda hashi-oki. (Found them at the newly opened panda souvenir store at Jinli the other day.) I would not usually use things this "cute" (much prefer my blue and white fish-shaped ones from Vietnam) but they're also good for resting sticky butter and jam knifes that would otherwise be left stuck to the table by my daughter. 

2 comments:

  1. Hej!
    De är jättesöta och jag säger ja tack, väldigt gärna! Svante och Disa kommer att älska dem! Svante fick ett utbrott efter det anarkistiska skypandet och blev tvångsbeordrad att lyssna på Pippi och bygga lego. Han har sedemera lugnat sig och sitter nu på golvet och äter toast. Puss och kram J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hur många önskas? Finns även en variant där pandan ligger på rygg. Faktiskt rätt häftiga! Kan inte tänka mig att Pippi har lugnande effekt p barn, snarare tvärtom. Men otroligt rörande att se barnen, B+E pratar fortfarande om det! xo I (Dejt nästa söndag)

    ReplyDelete